What Is Star Fruit?
- The carambola or the Star Fruit is a sweetish and sour fruit that is having the shape of a 5-point star giving its name as a Star Fruit.
- It is having an edible skin and the flesh has a mild, sour flavor that makes it popular in a numerous dishes.
- This fruit is yellowish or green in color. It comes in two main types: a smaller, sour variety and a larger or sweeter one so choose according to your taste.
- It a Fruit Mentioned in Bhavprakasha Samhita Purvakhanda, Mishraka gana, Amradi phal varga (Group of fruit items like mango)
- It is native to Malayan peninsula and cultivated in South east asia- India, Philipiness, Indonesia, Malaysia,Pacific island, china, Sri lanka and Bangladesh.
It is a small, slow-growing evergreen tree having a short-trunk or a shrub. Branches- Drooping; the wood is white initially and then turns reddish.
Shape- It is having a bushy shape with many branches that produces a broad, rounded crown.
Leaves-They are compound; soft, medium- Greenish and spirally arranged around the branches in an alternate fashion.
The pinnate leaves having a single terminal leaflet and 5 to 11 nearly opposite leaflets,
Length of leaf- 15–20 cm and leaflets are 3.8 to 9 cm in length
Shape is ovate or ovate-oblong. The top sides of leaves having smooth surface and the undersides are finely hairy and whitish.
leaflets are light reactive i.e. they tend to fold together at night, also sensitive to abrupt shock & when shaken they tend to close up also.
Flowers- Lilac or purple-streaked, downy, flowers are produced in the axils of leaves at the end of twigs. They are arranged in small clusters on the ends of the branches or may be on the larger stems and trunk, each cluster is attached to the tree with red stalks.
Shape– Bell-shaped, Perfect flowers
Length of flower – 6 mm wide approx having 5 petals that have recurved ends.
Fruit- Showy and shape is oblong and longitudinal 5 to 6 angled and 6.35 to 15 cm long and up to 9 cm wide.
It is having a thin, skin is waxy
These juicy fruits are yellow inside when ripe and have a crisp texture and In a cross-section cutting are star-shaped.
Odor of fruit- Like an oxalic acid that varies between plants from strong to mild and the taste varies from very sour to mild sweetish.
Seeds- Fruit having up to twelve seeds 6–12.5 mm in length.
Shape- flat, thin and brown
Some cultivated variety produce fruits which is having no seeds.
BOTANICAL NAME- Averrohoa carambola
SANSKRIT SYNONYMS- Brihadamla, Rujaraka, sralam
COMMON NAME- Carambola, Star fruit
Kannada- Kamaraakshi, Kamarak, Kamarike, Daarehuli, Dhaarehuli
Bengali name- Kamaranga
Indonesian name- Demak
Nutrient Found in Star Fruit-
It is a decent source of various nutrients like very rich in fiber and Vitamin-C, carbs , Protein, Vitamin B5, Folate, Copper, Potassium and Magnesium
It is very nutritious as it is low in calorie and enriched with fiber and Healthy Plant Compounds.
It is an excellent source of plant compounds- quercetin, gallic acid, and epicatechin making it more healthier.
Anitioxidants- The compounds found in this fruit is having a powerful antioxidant properties and rich in flavanoids thus providing various health benefits –
Liver Disorders– It reduces fatty liver risk and cholesterol
Anti-Cancerous- It helps to prevent liver cancer
Inflammation- the sugars in star fruit may reduce inflammation
Sunburns and Hangover- It is used all over the world as a home remedy for hangovers and sunburns.
Common Cold- It works well on coughs, fever, ulcers and sore throats.
Flowers of sweet star fruit is helping hand in case of Cough in children.
Diabetes- It is also effective to combat the diabetes.
Stomach ulcers- Its leaves can be used to treat stomach ulcers, pus-filled skin inflammations and boils.
Digestive system- It improves your digestion thus giving relief from digestive issues like indigestion, bloating etc.
Vitamins A, B and C present in this fruit helps to keep the metabolism of the body steady and strong, star fruit also has thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin in very small concentrations.
Eczema- It contains an antimicrobial agent which fights the microbial bacillus cereus, E.coli, salmonella typhus, etc. thus curing cures eczema.
Weight loss- As the fruit contains low calories and high fiber content making it a great choice for anyone trying to lose weight.
Heart Health- It is a good source of vitamin B9 (folic acid), which helps reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, and it also contains vitamin C and vitamin B5.
It is having low amounts of all essential minerals but is especially rich in copper.
Star fruit lowers cholesterol levels and adds the bulk and moisture to the faeces.
Sore Eyes- This fruit is been used to treat sore eyes. If you are looking to up the magnesium content in your diet, then eat food rich in vitamin B6 along with star fruit.
Breast feeding Mothers- This ‘magic’ fruit is given to the lactating mothers as this fruit is believed to stimulate the flow of milk.
FRUIT DECOCTION- The decoction of its leaves and roots (prepared separately or in combo) helps to cure headaches, ringworm, and chicken pox.
Nausea- To get cure from nausea and indigestion, eat a half piece of the fruit and repeat the dose after 3 hours
Be Careful ad safe while consuming this Fruit –
- Kidney disorders- As the fruit containing High Oxalate content may cause adverse effects in some people. Try to avoid or consult your doctor before trying this fruit as the fruit can damage your kidney.
- It interferes with absorption and also the metabolism of several natural minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc.
- Star fruit toxicity- It may cause neurological problems such as confusion, seizures, and even death.
- If you are taking some sort of prescription drugs should also proceed with caution as it may alter the way a drug is broken down and used by your body.