Two Italian players have been dropped from their national team amid a reported betting probe involving the men.
The FIGC did not reveal what the pair were being investigated for, but said the midfielders would not be in the correct frame of mind to face the upcoming matches.
They were told they would be investigated by the Turin Public Prosecutor’s Office while at the national team’s training centre in Coverciano.
Italy’s ANSA news agency said both players had been questioned in a betting probe.
The FIGC said: “Regardless of the nature of the events, considering that the two players are not in the necessary condition to face the matches scheduled for the next few days, the Federation has decided, also for their protection, to allow them to return to their respective clubs.”
Italy will host Malta on Saturday, before travelling to Wembley on Tuesday to take on England.
Tonali joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July, while Zaniolo is on loan from Galatasaray.
On Wednesday, prosecutors said another Italian footballer, Juventus’s Nicolo Fagioli, was being investigated for alleged illegal betting.
Players found guilty of betting on games face a three-year ban from the sport and fines worth up to €25,000 (£21,600).
Sky Sports News has contacted both Newcastle and Aston Villa for comment.
Doonited Affiliated: Syndicate News Hunt