Breaking News

Morocco earthquake: UK among four countries to send support as more than 2,100 confirmed dead

Morocco earthquake: UK among four countries to send support as more than 2,100 confirmed dead

The UK has sent support to Morocco after a deadly earthquake obliterated part of the country leaving more than 2,100 dead.

In response to the devastation, the government has flown over 60 search and rescue specialists, four search dogs, a medical assessment team, and rescue equipment to the North African nation.

CCTV shows moment earthquake struck – latest updates

Several countries offered to help Morocco, including the US and France, but officials “assessed” the situation and said it would accept international aid from just four countries: Britain, Spain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

Image:
Four search dogs have been sent

UK AID Morocco earthquake

The 6.8 magnitude quake unleashed a wave of destruction when it struck near the tourist destination of Marrakech on Friday night, with homes destroyed and hundreds of families displaced.

At least 2,122 people have been killed though the number of fatalities is expected to rise as rescue crews battle to reach more remote areas – which may have lost electricity and mobile phone reception.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Rescuers battle to find survivors

Many more civilians are injured, with some trapped under the debris as the rescue operation is under way.

The UK’s specialist search equipment includes seismic listening devices, concrete cutting and breaking equipment, and other tools that can be used to tackle rubble to reach people under collapsed buildings.

UK AID Morocco earthquake
UK AID Morocco earthquake

Read more:
Hope is fading in Talat Nyakoub where the stench of dead bodies is ‘overpowering’
Inside Amizmiz, the tourist town ‘ripped apart’

And aftershocks will continue to hit Morocco lasting either days, weeks or even months, the director of the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre told Sky News.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

This video shows the moment the earthquake struck Marrakech

Since the earthquake struck, 25 aftershocks have been recorded so far, Remy Bossu said.

Mr Bossu added: “There will be aftershocks. It is not probably, it is a certainty.”

The epicentre was high in the Atlas Mountains – about 43 miles (70km) away from Marrakech.

The earthquake was the strongest to hit Morocco in decades.

The UK will remain in close contact with the Moroccan authorities over the rescue efforts.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Once in a lifetime’ earthquake

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said: “This is a devastating time for the people of Morocco, particularly those with loved ones they have lost or are missing.

“The UK has taken a leading role in the international effort to enhance search and rescue operations – moving quickly to deploy our unique strategic airlift capabilities, expert personnel and aid.

“We stand firmly by Morocco as they get through this terrible event.”

Doonited Affiliated: Syndicate News Hunt

Source link

Related posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: