A 16-year-old boy has been shot dead by the Israeli army in a confrontation in the southern occupied West Bank, Palestinian health officials say.
Milad al-Rai was struck in the back by bullets near the city of Hebron on Saturday, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
The number of people killed in the West Bank and east Jerusalem this year has already overtaken the total in 2022, which had been considered the deadliest year since the United Nations began tracking in 2005.
The Israeli military said it unleashed tear gas and opened fire at a group of Palestinians outside the Al-Aroub refugee camp who were throwing Molotov cocktails at its troops.
It said it was aware one of the Palestinians had been shot and said there were Israeli military casualties.
Nearly half of Palestinians killed in the violence this year have been affiliated with militant groups, according to a tally by the Associated Press news agency.
Israel says most of those killed were militants. But people not involved in confrontations and youths throwing stones in protest against the incursions have also died.
Palestinian attacks against Israelis have spiked as the Israeli military intensifies its arrest raids in the West Bank.
More than 30 people have been killed in Palestinian attacks against Israelis since the start of 2023.
Israel says the raids are meant to dismantle militant networks and thwart future attacks.
Palestinians say the raids undermine their security forces, inspire more militancy and entrench Israeli control over lands they seek for a hoped-for future state.
Doonited Affiliated: Syndicate News Hunt