December 07, 2021

Breaking News

WTA prepared to pull tournaments out of China over Peng allegation

WTA prepared to pull tournaments out of China over Peng allegation


An outcry over the whereabouts of Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai escalated on Friday as the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) said it was prepared to pull its tournaments out of China if they were not satisfied with the response to her sexual assault allegation.

Former doubles world number one Peng has not been seen or heard from publicly since she said on Chinese social media on Nov. 2 that the former vice-premier, Zhang Gaoli, coerced her into sex and that they later had an on-off consensual relationship.

Neither Zhang nor the Chinese government has commented on her allegation. Peng’s social media post was quickly deleted, and the topic has been blocked from discussion on China’s heavily censored internet.

Concern among the global tennis community and beyond has grown over Peng’s safety and whereabouts since her allegation, with the WTA calling for an investigation and the world’s top players, including Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka, tweeting #WhereIsPengShuai.

Read Also  Suryakumar Yadav in good spirits after India beats New Zealand post T20 World Cup debacle

WTA chief executive Steve Simon told various U.S. media outlets on Thursday, that the tour would consider pulling tournaments worth tens of millions of dollars out of China.


Serena ‘devastated and shocked’ over Peng Shuai reports

 



WTA head Simon voices concern over statement attributed to Peng

 

“We’re definitely willing to pull our business and deal with all the complications that come with it,” he told CNN in an interview.

“Because this is certainly, this is bigger than the business. Women need to be respected and not censored.”

Hu Xijin, a well-connected Chinese state media editor weighed in on the scandal on Twitter early on Friday, saying he did not believe she had been the target of retribution.

“As a person who is familiar with the Chinese system, I don’t believe Peng Shuai has received retaliation and repression speculated by foreign media for the thing people talked about,” said Hu Xijin, the editor of the Global Times, on Twitter.

Read Also  Serena 'devastated and shocked' over Peng Shuai reports

The issue has emerged as China prepares to host the Winter Olympics in Beijing in February amid calls from global rights groups and others for a boycott over its human rights record.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it would not comment on the matter.

“Experience shows that quiet diplomacy offers the best opportunity to find a solution for questions of such nature,” an IOC spokesperson said. “This explains why the IOC will not comment any further at this stage.”

U.S. Representative Jim Banks of Indiana said he has written to U.S. President Joe Biden about Peng’s disappearance, urging him to raise her case in his talks with China and to warn Beijing that it could have a negative impact on the Winter Olympics.

On Wednesday, WTA’s Simon cast doubt on an email, which was also released by a Chinese state media outlet on Twitter, purporting to be from Peng and denying the allegations of sexual assault.

Read Also  BAN vs PAK 1st Test: पाकिस्तान को जीत के लिए आखिरी दिन 93 रनों की जरूरत

“I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is being attributed to her,” he said.

Doonited Affiliated: Syndicate News Feed

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Content Protector Developer Fantastic Plugins
%d bloggers like this: