At least two Israelis and one Egyptian have been killed after a policeman opened fire on a group of tourists in Alexandria, according to the country’s Interior Ministry.
The incident took place at the Pompey’s Pillar site in the city of Alexandria on Saturday.
Two Egyptian security sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed to the news agency Reuters that the suspected gunman was a police officer.
He was arrested and taken into custody, according to Extra News television channel – which has close ties to Egyptian security agencies.
Israel’s foreign ministry confirmed that two Israeli tourists and an Egyptian guide had been killed in the shooting.
The tourist site, which dates back to the late Roman Empire, was sealed off following the incident.
It comes as the Israeli military continues to fight Palestinian militants from Hamas after they launched an attack across the border from Gaza on Saturday morning.
Hundreds of Israelis have been killed in the deadliest attack on the country in decades, while the health ministry said at least 1,590 people had been injured.
Meanwhile, the Palestinian health ministry said on Sunday morning that at least 370 people had died, including 20 children, and nearly were 2,000 wounded in Israel’s retaliatory airstrikes on Gaza, with seven people, including a child, killed by Israeli army fire in the West Bank.
Israel’s prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned people living in Gaza to leave as he vowed to turn parts of the territory “into rubble” in revenge for what he called a “black day”.
Doonited Affiliated: Syndicate News Hunt